Wednesday, May 20, 2009

CONvergence 2009, Yeah, I AM Going!

I went to CONvergence last year. I was not impressed. Granted, the place it is held is fucking awesome, the people are probably equally as awesome, the party rooms are fucking killer, but the panels... Holy fuck were most of the panels I went to complete horseshit.

I went to the Battlestar Galactica panel and an audience member made a comment about them finding Earth (what they thought to be Earth on S04E10). One panelist seemed very frustrated, and why, you may ask? Because the fucking guy hasn't seen any episodes past Season 3. It was a fucking spoiler for him! The fucking guy should not have been in the audience, and certainly not on the fucking panel if he was not ready to discuss the latest episodes and willing to speculate future episodes.

Another one was "Ecology of Monsters" which was boring as fuck and was apparent they had no idea what "ecology" meant. And yet another was "How To Be a Geek in the Workplace." I admit this was fascinating in some aspect, but all that occurred is the entire room, panelists and audience, bitching about how they feel discriminated against by coworkers for being a dork.

Almost every panel I went to see were just common people that should have been in the audience. No experts. These should have been just group discussions over Yahoo Chat as far as I was concerned.

I did go to both of Peter Mayhew's (Chewbacca) panels. He had some interesting stories, though he (and myself) is obviously sick of the question, "Doesn't it get hot in that costume?" One fun thing he talked about was the filming of Return Of The Jedi. During the filming in the woods in California he was told to stay on set when they were not filming. He was a bit confused why, and was then told, "This is Sasquatch country." That's fucking hilarious!

Peter Mayhew, nor any others I knew, or gave a fuck about, were showing up so I really had no intention on pre-registering for this year. The last list of guests I saw in my e-mail subscription were people I did not know. But... Then comes along this. Fucking PZ Myers is going to be there... and on FUCKING PANELS! I met PZ briefly last year at the American Atheists Conference in downtown Minneapolis. It was nothing spectacular, I just wanted to introduce myself quickly and let the man move along. It went something like this:

Drunk-ass: These are not the droids you are looking for.

PZ: These are not the droids I am looking for.

Drunk-ass: Move along.

PZ: Move along, move along.

But that is not all. We also got some Skepchicks showing up and they have some pretty good info on what to do to get them all get naked in Minnesota for you right here.

The entire Skeptic Track will be in Atrium 7, which is one of the smaller rooms, sadly. Hopefully it goes very well and it will be a recurring theme like with DragonCon in Atlanta. Then perhaps we could get more heavy-hitters of skepticism here. Phil Plait, I'm looking at you!

No comments:

Post a Comment