Thursday, August 6, 2009

Upcoming DUNE Movie!

I was first introduced to Dune when I introduced a co-worker to Everclear back in late 2001. He obviously knew Everclear would do him in and I would be up all night so he popped in the Dune mini-series to keep me entertained. I absolutely loved it. I recognized it was full of obvious problems, but the story-line was incredible.

I bought the DVD of the mini-series and it remains one of my most watched titles. I have been considering purchasing the book for some time, but I got Kindle for the iPhone/iPod Touch. I got Dune and the book is fucking awesome. I love it!

Before I continue, yes, I've seen the three hour David Lynch version, and I don't like it much at all.

That out of the way, we have another version of Dune coming up and director, Peter Berg (who, I believe was the first guy to fuck Sydney Bristow on Alias after the death of her fiance) has said what he would like to do with Dune. He also directed Hancock, which I did not like that much. In fact, I don't like much of what he has directed except The Rundown. Regardless, I am pretty excited. I've seen him on the first season of Dinner For Five and he seems to have a nice understanding.

What he says he wants to with Dune makes sense:

"[The book] was much more muscular and adventurous, more violent and possibly even a little bit more fun," Berg said. "I think those are all elements of my experience of the book that can be brought in without offending the die-hard fans of the Bene Gesserit and Kwisatz Haderach. There's a more dynamic film to be made."


I just hope he can make it 5-7 hours long, but that, obviously won't happen. I really loved Saskia Reeves as Lady Jessica to the point I can't watch the Children of Dune mini-series because she is not in it. how am I going to cope without her in this, I don't know.

I hope for the best and have a feeling I will just shuffle between Peter Berg's version and the mini-series.

No comments:

Post a Comment