Friday, October 16, 2009

Queen Of The Orcs Free eBook/Review

I've wanted to talk about this book series for a while. Before I do I want to point out that the first book in the series, Queen of the Orcs: King's Property, is legitimately free on Barnes & Noble's eReader, which can be read on many devices including your computer, and on Amazon's Kindle. I did see it was available for Sony's reader and for viewing on your computer, but didn't feel like looking it up.

For a long time Dune was my favorite book of fiction. When I got Kindle on my iPod Touch I went apeshit downloading practically every modern freebie I came across. A few months ago I grabbed the first in the Queen of the Orcs trilogy. My Kindle library is almost entirely freebies, but I loved Queen of the Orcs so much I immediately bought the rest of the trilogy before I finished the first book and hope I can urge all three readers to do the same and see why Dune is no longer my favorite work of fiction.

Now, finally, the review

King's Property by Morgan Howell (real name Will Hubbell) begins with a girl, Dar, being taken from her family (donated by her family, if I recall correctly) to be a slave for the king's army. She is branded on her forehead so that if she escapes villagers will immediately kill her for a reward. The king's army utilizes regiments of orcs to take care of the human's dirty work, but the orcs have a strict set of customs. The custom that required Dar's enslavement is that the orcs only eat when a female serves their food.

At first Dar is terrified of the orcs. She then has to serve them and say a phrase to each orc as she serves them in their own language. The other female slaves have no interest in learning what they are saying to the orcs or reasons for their customs, but Dar does. Eventually she becomes comfortable enough to start to learn their language.

The men soldiers all want to fuck Dar (as they do all new slaves), but she is under the "protection" of Murdant Kol. Murdant Kol likes the chase of difficult women, which Dar is, and he makes her "his" woman for her "protection." His plans for her do not go very well and she is ostracized by both the female slaves she works with and the soldiers and she then lives under the protection of an orc, Kovok-Mah.

Kovok-Mah, who is the leader of this orc regiment and is also fairly fluent in English, has Dar sleep in his tent and the other orcs, especially his cousin, Zna-Yat, start questioning his sanity and ability to further lead the orc regiment. The orcs do not particularly like humans, but they endure battle for the humans only because their queen demands it. They feel that humans are smelly (they have a keen sense of smell) and are cruel for they enjoy senseless war a bit too much.

Dar begins to have visions of the future that she cannot make sense of, but they eventually happen and this is very important to the rest of the series.

I have probably said too much, but there is so much more to the story so I don't feel awful for a few spoilers. And I must admit, I had a hard time getting into the book at first. I was certainly interested, but I had another book I was more anxious to get into that I actually paid for three or four chapters in. Even one other reviewer on Amazon said they had a difficult time getting into it. However, I do guarantee that once you get past the first few chapters, it will be very difficult to forget and set aside.

This is now my favorite series in fiction. Being obsessed as I am about this I looked for more by Morgan Howell and found A Woman Worth Ten Copper and it is equally as good and I await the second book coming October 27th. After finishing that book I quit reading. His books are very emotionally draining, but in a good way, and I still do not feel like reading anything else until the next book comes out. After that, I may actually go and re-read the Queen of the Orcs trilogy. If Queen of the Orcs actually was made as a movie series and done as competently as Lord of the Rings, Star Wars would probably be dethroned as my favorite piece of fiction media.

No comments:

Post a Comment